Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Labor Story

On Tuesday, I was seen in the office and Dr. Dyer stripped my membranes. I was 2 cm and not effaced at all. Wednesday around 1 pm, I started noticing contractions and they were pretty steady right off the bat, 4 minutes apart, but weren't even uncomfortable.
Around 4:15, the contractions were 2 to 3 minutes apart and getting a little uncomfortable. I started feeling a little panicky being home alone with Ellie, having contractions that were so close together. I called Stacy to come over and wait for Danny with me. 
5 pm- Danny got home and didn't seem to be in much of a hurry! I told him I wasn't sure I was actually in labor, but thought we should go to the hospital.
5:30- We got to the hospital and I was 3 cm and 80%. Still not sure if I was in labor.
5:50- Dr. Dyer came in to see me. He wasn't on that night but was making rounds bfore heading home and saw I was there. The nurse was still trying to decide if they were going to keep me. I was checked again and was 4 cm. and 80%. They both agreed I should stay and Dr. Dyer said that if it was a decent hour, he would come back in and deliver me on his night off. I was relieved that he would be there and not the doctor on call.
6:30- My water broke after I sent Danny to the cafeteria to get some dinner.
6:45- I was already asking for the epidural!
7:15- The epidural was in and running. While getting the epidural, I was feeling like I needed to push but the doctor wasn't in the hospital yet. The CRNA said that he'd never delivered a baby and he wasn't about to do it tonight! I was told not to push for at least 10 minutes until Dr. Dyer walked in the room. It was pretty tough not to push, one of the worst feelings ever.
7:25- Dr. Dyer arrived and I pushed through 2 contractions and he was here!
7:30- Baby Boy, 6 pounds 13 ounces, 21 inches long. After he was born, the epidural kicked in and I was numb for the next two hours! He was born with heavy meconium and had a hard time breathing at first. The NICU nurses had him on CPAP in our room for a little while trying to help him. As soon as they said they were going to take him to the NICU for a while, he screamed real loud and perked right up. He was fine and got to stay in the room with us.







No comments: